Welcome to my blog!

Welcome to my blog!
This is me and my cousin at my brother's wedding. I'm the girl wearing my little brother's suit jacket.

Saturday, March 23, 2013

Working Moms?

How many women these days do you know that are actually stay at home mom's? I think I can count on one hand the number of stay at home mom's I know. Granted, most of these mothers aren't stay at home mom's because they don't want to be. Most of them are working mothers out of necessity. I found out some interesting facts this week in class. The one that stuck out to me most was that most women, after paying all bills and other expenses, end up making less than $1 per hour. I guess it just showed me that it must be really expensive to live these days. I mean I struggle enough as a college student, but the only thing I'm really paying for is my groceries. I thankfully have financial aid and extremely generous parents and family members  who have been willing to help me with the expenses of college.

Anyhow, back to the topic on hand, it's important to keep several things in mind, when deciding, whether or not both parents should work or not. I think one thing to consider is whether or not you can really afford to not have both parents working. Another thing is to pray about it. This is not a decision to be made without divine guidance. It's also important to keep in mind the toll it might take on your family. The absence of not just one, but both parents from home during the day can take a toll on the family. You may have to put your children in child care which can cause an added expense. Your child may have to be home alone for a few hours until you or your spouse can come home from work. Keep in mind the tolls not only on the family, but more specifically on your children. Children will keenly feel the absence of their parents in the home, and if you have to take work home, that will impact the dynamic at home, as well. What if because of work you no longer have as much time or energy to spend with your children? As I said before, counsel carefully together. This is not a decision you make spur of the moment. Prayerfully consider if you truly need to work or not, if you're a woman, and a mom.

I truly hope that when the time comes, I will not need to work. I don't wish to. My greatest wish is to be a mom, who is able to stay at home with her kids. This is not popular opinion, as was shown in our reading for this week: Does a Full-Time Homemaker Swap Her Mind for a Mop? However, I know that if I HAVE to work, that I will make the sacrifices necessary so that I can make ends meet. My mother and most of the women in my family weren't able to be stay at home mom's. Luckily though they were able to stay at home with us while we were all under-school age. My own mother didn't start working until I was in middle school. There is no shame in needing to work. If you have to work, and it's what is best for your family then that's awesome. But I think if you don't have to, then don't. Stay at home and play and love your kids all day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment